Don't have a green thumb? Try growing cacti and succulents! These low-maintenance plants are used to living in dry desert environments, which means they require little watering. Use these simple tips for keeping your succulents happy and healthy.
- Keep them in a sunny spot. Because both cacti and succulents like a lot of sunlight, try to position them in the sunniest spot in your home.
- Use well-draining soil. These plants are very sensitive when it comes to watering, so use well-draining soil and a pot with a drainage system in the bottom to help prevent root rot.
- Rotate frequently. To ensure that each side of your succulent gets an equal amount of sunlight, rotate the plant once a week or so.
- Water according to the soil. Instead of watering them on a set schedule, water your succulents only when their soil is bone dry. Soak them completely by letting the pot sit underneath the showerhead for a good ten minutes.
- Promote dormancy in the winter. While your cactus should be watered frequently in warmer months, allow the soil to go almost completely dry in the cold winter months to help the plant go dormant.